2017/06/29

Currently reading

Untitled
Nausea by Jean-Paul Sartre, a classic most people have heard of. I bought it about 15 years ago, started reading and got bored. When I was younger, I was much more interested in stories and didn't bother too much if the language wasn't very good. The goal was to start a book, hopefully liking the story which preferably went from A to B to C and so on, finishing and then filling in my list of which books I had read. I did this from 1993 until around 2010. Moved to Berlin and stared living life more. My eyes have opened up more and more to loving single sentences, words that are written in a way that make me cry, laugh, admire and so on. I think it was The Goldfinch by Donna Tartt that opened up my eyes, every sentence is a piece of art in that book.

If you haven't read the books above, I won't tell you more details about them. Personally I like starting reading a book or watching a film knowing as little as possible.

Untitled
When I opened the book, sensitive to typography as I am, I remembered back in the days when reading something with too small frames around the text - how difficult it was to get a good reading flow. In this case, it doesn't matter as Mr. Sartre had a great flow in his writing.

I asked yesterday what you are currently reading, feel free to continue sharing, it's so much fun to read your comments and to read books in general :)

4 comments:

  1. i started this morning with 'worauf du dich verlassen kannst' by kate tempest...i'm in love with her language!
    'becks letzter sommer' by benedikt wells, which i've finished this morning is my favorite bock this year...so far;)
    alex

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have Nausea in my book collection but like you I started it a while ago and then put it down because I got bored. I think I will need to give it another try! Currently I am reading Borne by Jeff VanderMeer; it is such a fascinating mix of sci-fi, fantasy, dystopia... very original, I recommend it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've started (slowly) reading "Borne" by Jeff VanderMeer as well. Slowly, because I want to savor the words as long as possible. Highly recommend his previous three books, the Southern Reach Trilogy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Sandra, how are you?
    'Stoner' by John Edward Stoner is the first book in a long time that made me cry. Very moving book about life. Highly recommended!

    ReplyDelete

Hi, welcome!
If you have a question, please have a look at my FAQ-page.