2017/01/14

Recipe: Spicy Lentils

Untitled

Today I posted a picture on Instagram of a lentil soup/stew I made and many people asked for the recipe. The problem is that I don't cook from recipes, I look around at home to see what I have available and then I try to make the best out of it. I put stuff in the pot and then I taste what might be missing (We can call my method Pour, Stir, Taste ;). Will do my best to write a kind of recipe below :) It ended up being very spicy and very very delicious. I used so much curry paste that both Johan and I were sneezing and coughing like crazy, heh.


SPICY LENTILS for a lot of people
Red curry paste (I put a lot as I looove spicy, and you put as much as you prefer)
2-3 tbsp neutral oil
3 onions
Some garlic
Some ginger
6 dl red lentils
A few potatoes
2 carrots
800 grams of canned tomatoes (mix them if you don't want chunks)
1-2 tbsp tomato paste
A tbsp of brown sugar or honey
Vegetable stock for 1 liter
As much water as you want, depending on how thick you want the stew/soup, I used about 1 liter
Chili flakes (if you want it even spicier)
Fish sauce (skip it if you want it to be vegetarian/vegan) (I use it instead of salt)
400 ml coconut milk (if you don't like it, use cream or something similar, you can also skip it completely - tastes very good also without)

Coriander/Cilantro to sprinkle on top.
I ended up putting some soy in it as well. And I imagine some lemongrass would also suit very well.


DO LIKE THIS (or as you want)
Chop the onions, carrots, potatoes and ginger into pieces you like.
Heat up oil in a large pot and let the curry paste simmer for a while, to get out all the flavours.
After a few minutes, throw in the onions, garlic and ginger.
Stir and take good care of the paste.
Throw in the lentils, potatoes and carrots and stir for a minute or two.
Pour in the canned tomatoes, the tomato paste, the brown sugar (or honey) + the vegetable stock.
Let it boil for a while and when you think it's too thick, start pouring water. Stir. Pour water. Stir and so on until you have the thickness you like (takes maybe 15-20 minutes to know, as the lentils will swell).
Throw in some chili flakes (optional) and pour about 1-2 tbsp of fish sauce (better a little at first, you don't want the whole thing to end up tasting like fish sauce - Pour, stir, taste. Pour, stir, taste.) or salt/soy (vegetarian/vegan).
When the lentils and potatoes have a nice texture, pour in the coconut milk and stir.
Sprinkle coriander/cilantro on top.


E A T !

Untitled

Untitled

If you followed this "kind of" recipe, please let me know if you liked it :)

5 comments:

  1. I have to try this one day! You should share some more of your recipes not just the mouthwatering photos! Some kind of quick script (I don't follow recipes either but I like to have an idea of how someone else came about it!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Recipes like this are my favourite. A list of what got added and then you can just adjust to what you have/like. I feel like a strict recipe has the potential to be a little stressful because maybe something in it is important but you don't know what. A recipe like this is just easy to understand and easy to adapt.
    Thanks for sharing ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds yummy! I'll try your curry lentil method (instead of my classical spanish one) next time I cook lentils. This looks very similar to how I cook curry but with lentils instead of meat.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I made this last night! It's delicious! :D

    ReplyDelete

Hi, welcome!
If you have a question, please have a look at my FAQ-page.